Audio Textbooks and eTextbooks – A New Way to Study
Textbooks are very much a prerequisite for any kind of learning, high school, college, university or other. They are a very important resource for studying and research, they are often very bulky and heavy and awkward to carry around.
Fortunately, there are solutions to overcome the problems associated with traditional textbooks, namely digital textbooks. Books in a digital format generally take the form of an eBook (electronic book) or an audiobook. When referring to these types of digital books in a textbook format, they are often called audio textbooks or eTextbooks.
- What are Audio Textbooks?
- Best 8 Audio TextBook Services
- Find Audio Textbooks from Free University Courses
- How to convert eTextbooks to Audio Textbooks?
- Best Free eTextBooks Resources
- Paid eTextbook Resources
- Mega List of 200+ FREE eTextbooks
- Free Biology Textbooks
- Free Business TextBooks
- Free Chemistry Textbooks
- Free Computer Science Textbooks
- Free Electrical Engineering Textbooks
- Free Engineering Textbooks
- Free History Textbooks
- Free Languages Textbooks
- Free Mathematics Textbooks
- Free Music Textbooks
- Free Philosophy Textbooks
- Free Physics Textbooks
- 10 FREE DICTIONARY & THESAURUS
What are Audio Textbooks?
The very great advantage of audio books (audiobooks) is that it allows one to listen to a title rather than read it. For busy students or anyone undertaking any kind of research, this format offers an effective way to save time, particularly whilst commuting. Audio textbooks are available in many popular audio formats which lend themselves to a large variety of devices. Just plug in a set of earbuds, and increase one’s productivity by listening to your way through a book.
Best 8 Audio TextBook Services
1. Kindle eTextbooks
eBooks offer many flexible and desirable features, they may be read on a huge variety of various devices using the free Kindle Reading App for computers, tablets, and smartphones as well as the popular Kindle eBook reader. A very popular people eBook format for textbooks is called an eTextbook and may be downloaded from Amazon under the category of Amazon eTextbooks.
The format has some very helpful and distinct features which help to study.
- X-Ray allows the reader to use definitions, further related content from other resources like YouTube and Wikipedia, all with a single tap!
- Highlights allows the reader to highlight a word or sentence using a choice of a few different colors which may then be categorized and saved in the notebook and referenced anytime. One may also convert the highlight into a flash card which may then be stored with amazon and then referenced again in your eTextbook at any time.
- Navigate through your chapters and pages with easily by simply accessing the navigation grid by tapping the bottom or top of your devices screen. Pages may be scanned very quickly by just swiping the pages with one’s finger.
The Amazon eTextbooks Store allows one to buy or rent discounted titles and carry the entire library of your choice in your digital device without any concern about storage or weight issues traditionally associated with traditional textbooks. Shopping for titles can be done in complete comfort anytime 14/7 from a huge choice of subject material.
2. Audible Audio TextBooks
Audible offers a small collection of education-related Audio TextBooks – Currently around 200+. Audible.com’s educational area offers tons of options. There are areas for students, K-12 educators, parents & families, professionals, college textbooks on audio and higher education faculty. You can browse through hundreds of textbook audio books titles in every subject.
You get a Free Trial to try a Free Audio TextBook
3. iTunes U
300,000 Audio Lectures and Textbooks From The World’s Top Universities
Looking for a shortcut through the dry “Audio Textbook” material? SparkNotes are available through Audible as well. Read the summaries of each chapter with explanations of key themes and analysis of content. While it will never be able to convey the magic of To Kill a Mockingbird, SparkNotes can help students sort through the themes, symbols, and characters. This is a very handy test prep tool.
5. LibriVox – Public Domain AudioBooks
LibriVox volunteers record chapters of books in the public domain and release the audio files back onto the net. Our goal is to make all public domain books available as free audio books.”
There are 100’s of classic textbooks audiobooks
OverDrive is the collection of more than 30,000 libraries across the world. It’s a site that allows you online access to the catalog of a library near you, where all you need to ‘rent’ a book is a valid library card number. The use of LibbyApp, the mobile and tablet version of OverDrive, lets you check out audiobooks and textbooks straight to PC or Mobile
RBDigital offers an extensive collection of audiobooks, magazines, textbooks and eBooks, with the largest independent collection of audiobooks.
YourCloudLibrary is an application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android that offers access to millions of ebooks and audio to download.
HooplaDigital – Instantly borrow digital audio textbooks, eBooks and more, 24/7 with your library card.
10. Khan Academy
offers over 4,000 free Audio / Videos / Books on a wide variety of subjects for free viewing online without registration.
Find Audio Textbooks from Free University Courses
Free MIT Audio, Videos & TextBooks
MIT Online Textbooks
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology offers a huge collection of MIT Online Audio / Video / TextBooks
MIT Audio/Video Lectures by Department
- Health Sciences and Technology
- Linguistics and Philosophy
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media Arts and Sciences
- Music and Theater Arts
- Nuclear Science and Engineering
- Political Science
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Sloan School of Management
- Supplemental Resources
- Urban Studies and Planning
- Women’s and Gender Studies
Online Textbooks by MIT Department:
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media Arts and Sciences
- Nuclear Science and Engineering
- Sloan School of Management
- Supplemental Resources
Free Harvard Audio, Videos & TextBooks
University of California Irvine has a large selection of video courses available for free viewing online without registration.
Open Yale Courses – Yale offers free open courses, with audio, video
How to convert eTextbooks to Audio Textbooks?
Finding textbooks in the audio textbook format can be challenging.
Most Textbooks are only in a physical or digital format. Therefore, you either need to convert the text or use an Audio software service
1. Convert Textbooks to Audio
Start by buying the digital text version of the textbook at online retailers, like Amazon eTextbooks Store.
Convert the textbook to Audio via the following services:
- Classlesoft Text to MP3 Converter
- Acrobat Reader Text to Audio Feature.
- Chrome Text to Audio add on
Best Free eTextBooks Resources
Bookboon’s free online textbooks for students are focused and to the point. They are all written by highly respected professors from top universities in the world and cover topics such as economics, statistics, IT, engineering and natural science.
- Open Library
This is an initiative of the Internet Archive.
Nonprofit charity from Rice University aims to provide Free Basic Textbooks Collection. Peer-reviewed. Openly licensed. 100% free.
Discover the rising stars of the writing world, & Give yourself the gift of some of the best books you can find.
Creating videos, compiling and publishing free legal Ebooks
- MERLOT E-Texts
Access to curated online learning and support materials and content creation tools, led by an international community of educators, learners and researchers.
- Open Access at University of Minnesota
Open textbooks are textbooks that have been funded, published, and licensed to be freely used, adapted, and distributed. These books have been reviewed by faculty from a variety of colleges and universities to assess their quality
- Open Textbooks
CCCOER is a growing consortium of community and technical colleges committed to expanding access to education and increasing student success through adoption of open educational policy, practices, and resources.
- Textbook Revolution – Textbook Revolution is a student-run site dedicated to increasing the use of free educational materials by teachers and professors.
- Florida’s Digital Repository
Florida Resources that are tagged as being appropriate for community college, higher education, vocational education, or continuing education
- Affordable Learning Georgia
Open textbooks Collection
- Bay College OER
Open Educational Resources (OER) at Bay College.
287 Open Textbooks
This catalog contains educational content originally curated by Boundless.
- California Open Online Library for Education (COOL4ED)
California Open Online Library for Education (COOL4Ed)
100% Free, Personalized Learning for Every Student. Create digital classrooms, customize textbooks, and learn K-12 STEM concepts.
Textbooks, Textmaps, and LibreTexts
- Michigan Open Textbook Project
(3-12) – Open textbooks from Michigan
- Open SUNY
Open textbook publishing initiative established by State University of New York libraries and supported by SUNY
- Open Textbook Library
The library currently includes 630 textbooks, with more being added all the time.
- Saylor Academy
100 free, full-length textbooks and courses.
Siyavula has produced book titles spanning Mathematics and Science subjects from Grades 4-12.
- OAPEN (Open Access Publishing in European Networks) – Europe based OAPEN Library contains freely accessible academic books, mainly in the area of humanities and social sciences.
- The International Children’s Digital Library
Online library for free children’s e-books. With over 5000+ books in 55 different languages, the ICDL is a great resource for educators and counselors.
- Barnes & Noble Free e-books
Barnes and Noble offers 75K free e-books, including some popular fiction titles, self published e-books, and classic fiction titles.
Paid eTextbook Resources
Mega List of 200+ FREE eTextbooks
Free Biology Textbooks
- Anatomy and Physiology – Edited by profs at OpenStax
- Biology – Edited by profs at OpenStax
- Botany Online: The Hypertextbook by multiple scholars.
- CK-12 Biology (Grades 9-12) From LA School District
- CK-12 Life Science (Grades 9-12) From LA School District
- Concepts of Biology – Edited at OpenStax
- Life on Earth (iBook) – E.O. Wilson, Harvard
Free Business TextBooks
- Business Ethics From the University of Puerto Rico
- Business Fundamentals by the Global Text Project
- Core Concepts of Marketing by John Burnett
- Corporate Finance by Ivo Welch, UCLA
- Electronic Commerce by Multiple authors at the University of Georgia
- Principles of Macroeconomics From Colorado College
Free Chemistry Textbooks
- Chemistry, Grades 10-12, Created by the FHSST Project
- Chemistry Virtual Textbooks From Simon Fraser University
- CK-12 Chemistry (Grades 9-12)
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry From Rice University
- Organic Chemistry (with a Biological Emphasis) From University of Minnesota
- Virtual Textbook of Organic Chemistry. Presented by Michigan State
Free Computer Science Textbooks
- OnlineProgrammingBooks.com – free eBooks and online books related to programming, computer science, software engineering, web design, mobile app development, networking, databases, information technology, AI, graphics and computer hardware
- FreeTechBooks.com Database of Free / Open Access Online Computer Science Books, Textbooks, and Lecture Notes
- AI: Foundations of Computational Agents by David Poole and Alan Mackworth, University of British Columbia
- Introduction to Digital Communications and Networks by Hari Balakrishnan, Christopher Terman, and George Verghese, MIT
- Foundations of Computer Science Stanford
- How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Computing and Programming, Multiple Authors
- High Performance Computing by Charles Severance, University of Michigan
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: C ++ From Olin College
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Java by Allen B. Downey, Olin College
- Information Technology and the Networked Economy From the University of Georgia
- Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms by Cambridge
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning, from Recurse Center
- Philosophy of Computer Science by University at Buffalo
- Principles of Computer System Design by Jerome Saltzer
- Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation From Brown University
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Jerry Sussman & Julie Sussman
- The Princeton Bitcoin Textbook by Princeton
Free Electrical Engineering Textbooks
- Electromagnetics and Applications by David Staelin, MIT
- Electromechanical Dynamics by MIT
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering from Rice University
- Introduction to Nanoelectronics by MIT
- Introduction to Physical Electronics by Rice University
- Introduction to Statics and Dynamics by Cornell University
- Lessons In Electric Circuits by Bellingham Technical College
- Operational Amplifiers: Theory and Practice by James K. Roberge, MIT
- Signals, Systems and Inference by MIT
- Signals and Systems, by Alan Oppenheim and Alan Willsky, MIT
- System Design for Uncertainty, by Michael S. Triantafyllou, MIT
- The Art of Insight in Science and Engineering by Prof. Sanjoy Mahajan
Free Engineering Textbooks
- A First Course in Electrical and Computer Engineering by Louis Scharf, Colorado State
- Analysis of Structural Member Systems by Jerome Connor, MIT
- Engineering: An Introduction for High School (9-12) by multiple authors
- Mechanics of Materials by MIT
Free History Textbooks
- US History Learner English by The Learner English Series
- U.S. History since 1877 by James Ross-Nazzal, Houston Community College
- A Textbook of the History of Painting by John Charles Van Dyke, Rutgers
Free Languages Textbooks
- Deutsch im Blick by the University of Texas
- German for Reading Knowledge From University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Hindi: An Active Introduction by Foreign Service Institute
- Español I (free for iPad) by David Nance, ADE Distance Learning Center
- French: Familiarization by Foreign Service Institute
- Spanish: Familiarization by Foreign Service Institute
Free Mathematics Textbooks
- Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate Year by University of Illinois
- Advanced Calculus by Harvard University
- Algebra and Analysis for Computer Science by University of Penn
- Applied Probability by Paul Pfeiffer, Rice University
- Basic Analysis by Jiří Lebl, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Basic Concepts of Mathematics by The University of Windsor
- Basic Probability Theory by Robert B. Ash, University of Illinois
- Basic Probability and Statistics by Brenda Meery, high school mathematics teacher
- Book of Proof by Virginia Commonwealth University
- Calculus for Beginners and Artists by MIT
- Calculus Online Textbook, by Gilbert Strang, MIT
- Calculus by David Guichard, Whitman College.
- Calculus by Gilbert Strang, MIT
- Calculus by Paul Dawkins, Lamar University
- Calculus with Applications, by Daniel Kleitman, MIT
- Collaborative Statistics by De Anza College
- College Algebra by Paul Dawkins, Lamar University
- Complex Analysis by George Cain, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Complex Variables by Robert B. Ash, University of Illinois
- Computational Geometry by MIT
- A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra by Victor Shoup, NYU
- A Course In Algebraic Number Theory by Robert B. Ash, University of Illinois
- A Course In Commutative Algebra by University of Illinois
- Design of Comparative Experiments by University of London
- An Introduction to Calculus by Dan Sloughter, Furman University
- Differential Equations by Paul Dawkins, Lamar University
- Discrete Mathematics: An Open Introduction by Oscar Levin, University of Northern Colorado
- Dynamical Systems by S. Sternberg, Harvard University
- Elementary Abstract Algebra by University of Southern Florida
- Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach by University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Elementary Differential Equations Trinity University
- Elementary Linear Algebra by University of Queensland
- Elementary Number Theory by W. Edwin Clark, University of Southern Florida
- Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra by Edwin H. Connell, University of Miami
- First Course in Complex Analysis by Matthias Beck, Gerald Marchesi, and Dennis Pixton, SUNY – Binghamton
- First Course in Linear Algebra by Dr. Robert Beezer, University of Puget Sound
- Functions Defined by Improper Integrals by William F. Trench, Trinity University
- Introduction to Matrix Algebra by Autar K Kaw, University of South Florida
- Introduction to Probability by Charles Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell, Swarthmore & Dartmouth Colleges
- Introduction to Probability, Statistics, and Random Processes by Hossein Pishro-Nik, UMass Amherst
- Introduction to Real Analysis by William F. Trench, Trinity University
- Introduction to Social Network Methods by Robert A. Hanneman and Mark Riddle, UC Riverside
- Introduction to Statistical Thought by Michael Lavine, UMASS
- Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by Leo Moser, McGill
- Lectures on Probability, Statistics and Econometrics by Marco Taboga, Economist, Bank of Italy
- Lectures on Statistics by Robert B. Ash, University of Illinois
- Linear Algebra by Paul Dawkins, Lamar University
- Math, Numerics, and Programming by Masayuki Yano, MIT
- Multivariable Calculus by George Cain & James Herod, Georgia Tech
- Proofs and Concepts: The Fundamentals of Abstract Mathematics by Dave Witte Morris and Joy Morris, University of Lethbridge
- Real Variables with Basic Metric Space Topology by Robert B. Ash, University of Illinois
- Statistics by Philip B. Stark, University of California – UC Berkeley
- A Summary of Calculus by Karl Heinz Dovermann, University of Hawaii
- The Calculus of Functions of Several Variables by Dan Sloughter, Furman University
- Yet Another Calculus Text by Dan Sloughter, Furman University
Free Music Textbooks
- Beyond Slonimsky: Melodic Patterns for Guitar – by Rich Cochrane
- Music Fundamentals 1: Pitch and Major Scales and Keys – by Terry B. Ewell, Towson University
- Scale and Arpeggio Resources: A Guitar Encyclopedia by Rich Cochrane
- Sound Reasoning (Introductory Music course)
- Understanding Basic Music Theory, Edited by Catherine Schmidt-Jones
Free Philosophy Textbooks
- Animals and Ethics 101: Thinking Critically About Animal Rights by Morehouse College
- A Modern Formal Logic Primer by Paul Teller, UC Davis
- Arguments: Deductive Logic Exercises, by UC Davis
- forall x: An Introduction to Formal Logic by State University of New York
- forallx: Cambridge by P.D. Magnus; modified for Cambridge U
- Metatheory for truth-functional logic by Tim Button, Cambridge University
Free Physics Textbooks
- Age of Einstein, by Frank W. K. Firk, Yale University.
- Calculus-Based Physics by Jeffrey W. Schnick, Saint Anselm College
- College Physics OpenStax
- Conceptual Physics by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- Conservation Laws by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- Essential Physics Frank W.K. Firk, Yale University
- Fields by Warren Siegel, SUNY
- General Relativity by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- Introduction to Groups, Invariants & Particles, by Frank W. K. Firk, Yale University
- Introduction to Statics and Dynamics by Andy Ruina and Rudra Pratap, Cornell University
- Introduction to String Field Theory by Warren Siegel, SUNY
- Mountain Motion by Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Optics by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- Principles of Modern Physics – Robert B. Leighton, Caltech
- Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation by Dr. Shriram Krishnamurthi, Brown University
- Simple Nature: An Introduction by Ben Crowell, Fullerton College
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Richard Feynman
- The Light and Matter Series by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- Vibrations and Waves by Benjamin Crowell, Fullerton College
- The Modern Revolution Fullerton College
- The People’s Physics Book by James H. Dann, UC Santa Cruz
- 21st Century Physics Flexbook by the Secretaries of Education
10 FREE DICTIONARY & THESAURUS
- Roget’s Thesaurus Ebook
- Synonyms by Word Reference
The WordReference English Synonyms provides users with a comprehensive collection of more than 20k English words.
- Thesaurus by Cambridge U
Mainly a dictionary but comes with a thesaurus.
- Collins Thesaurus
Hundreds of thousands of synonyms and antonyms arranged by meaning and with key synonyms highlighted.
- Farlex Thesaurus
Free Thesaurus is a comprehensive online thesaurus of synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
- Macmillan Thesaurus
More than just a list of synonyms, this unique thesaurus draws distinctions between similar words and helps you choose just the word you need.
- Merriam Webster Thesaurus
Search more than 275,000 synonyms, antonyms, related words, and idiomatic phrases.
- Thesaurus by Dictionary.com
million+ synonyms and antonyms.
- Synonym Finder by Word Hippo
An online website and application providing a range of tools related to the use of words for creative and recreational purposes
- Lexico from Oxford U
Hundreds of thousands of synonyms, antonyms, definitions, and pronunciations for English and other languages, derived from their language research and expert analysis.
Top Free AudioBooks
|Free Non-Fiction AudioBooks|
|Free Fiction AudioBooks|
|Free Classic AudioBooks|
|Free Academic AudioBooks|
|Free Language AudioBooks|
|Free Kids AudioBooks|
|Free Philosophy AudioBooks|
|Free Psychology AudioBooks|
|Free Classic AudioBooks|
|Free Science AudioBooks|
Free AudioBooks Sources
|Free Spotify AudioBooks|
|Free iTunes AudioBooks|
|Free Youtube AudioBooks|
|Free BBC AudioBooks|
|Free SoundCloud AudioBooks|
Free Online Courses
|Free Online Math Courses|
|Free Online Engineering Courses|
|Free Online Tech Courses|
|Free Online Sociology Courses|
|Free Online Law Courses|
|Free Online History Courses|
|Free Online Food Courses|